Former Surrey employee charged in multi-million-dollar fraud case
A former City of Surrey staff member is facing multiple criminal charges after investigators uncovered what police describe as a “significant fraud” inside the municipality’s financial system.
The Surrey Police Service says the RCMP’s economic crimes unit launched the investigation last year after the city reported serious financial discrepancies. According to police, the loss to the city is estimated at $2.5 million.
Allegations of falsified records
Investigators allege the employee accessed internal financial systems and created a series of fraudulent files over an extended period. Police say the activity involved issuing and depositing city cheques without authorization and for personal gain.
The BC Prosecution Service has approved four charges against 40-year-old Sunny Catlin, including:
- Fraud over $5,000
- Theft over $5,000
- Breach of trust
- Forgery related to alleged false “deposit release authorization” packages
Catlin is scheduled to make her first court appearance on Dec. 2.
City response
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke said she cannot comment on the ongoing case but thanked police for their work. She added that the city remains committed to maintaining integrity and transparency in its operations.
The case marks one of the largest internal fraud allegations involving a Surrey municipal employee in recent years.
Leave a comment