Home Crime Surrey Policing Split: Tension Grows Over Transition Timeline
Crime

Surrey Policing Split: Tension Grows Over Transition Timeline

Share
RCMP
Share

A dispute over Surrey’s policing transition intensifies as SPS and RCMP disagree on when support should end. Recruitment and timelines fuel the debate.

Surrey’s Police Transition Hits a Roadblock

The Surrey Police Service (SPS) and the RCMP are facing a growing disagreement over when their partnership should officially end. Although the SPS became Surrey’s police of jurisdiction on November 29, 2024, the RCMP insists their support will only conclude by November 2026. Meanwhile, the SPS argues the transition will realistically continue into late 2027.


How the Transition Began

For more than seven decades, the Surrey RCMP handled policing duties across the city. When the SPS took over last year, the RCMP shifted to a support role under the Surrey Provincial Operations Support Unit (SPOSU). Since then, both agencies have worked side by side—yet, disagreement over when the RCMP should exit has surged.


RCMP’s Stand: The Clock Is Ticking

Deputy Commissioner Dwayne McDonald firmly stated that RCMP support must end by November 2026. Furthermore, Brian Sauvé, president of the National Police Federation, echoed that position by stressing the RCMP should fully leave Surrey as planned. He argued that officers have carried most of the operational load and deserve clarity about their futures.

He emphasized, again and again, that extending RCMP support into 2027 is not acceptable. Additionally, he said RCMP members need stability not just for their careers but also for their families.


SPS Pushes Back: “The Data Says 2027”

The SPS disagrees. According to Staff Sergeant Lindsey Houghton, the SPS believes the transition cannot be completed by 2026. Instead, he said several practical hurdles remain. For instance, officer recruitment, academy training, hiring schedules, and file transfers all take more time than anticipated.

Moreover, he noted that the Province of British Columbia oversees the transition, meaning the RCMP cannot simply leave without formal approval. If they pulled out abruptly, he suggested it would violate the Police Act, which ensures the city must remain adequately policed.


The Recruitment Challenge

The SPS explained that the hiring process is extremely competitive. Not only does Surrey compete with Vancouver and other major forces, but the police academy also limits the number of available seats per training class. Therefore, even with strong collaboration, the SPS cannot guarantee monthly recruitment targets.


Rising Frustration Within the RCMP

Sauvé did not hold back. He claimed the SPS has missed key targets and delayed progress repeatedly. As a result, he argued, RCMP officers are left in career limbo, waiting for a transition timeline that keeps shifting.

Additionally, he warned that if SPS cannot fill 30–40 officer positions each month while RCMP officers demobilize at the same rate, the staffing gap would become “a Surrey Police Service problem.”


What Happens If the SPS Still Needs Help?

According to Sauvé, the RCMP can still provide temporary support, yet it would come at 100% cost recovery to the City of Surrey. That could include travel expenses, accommodations, and short-term deployments from other regions such as Kelowna, Nanaimo, or Prince George.

He explained that RCMP members deserve to move forward with their careers. However, if Surrey still needs help, support can be provided but only under new terms.


What Comes Next?

Weekly discussions continue between the Province, the SPS, and the RCMP. Each side insists its timeline is the right one. Meanwhile, Surrey residents watch closely, waiting for clarity on who will patrol their streets and for how long.

For now, the transition remains active. The end date, however, remains a story still unfolding.

Stay updated instantly — follow us on Instagram | Facebook | X 

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *