Surrey steps up enforcement on illegal home construction
Surrey is tightening the screws on illegal construction, issuing title notices and ordering demolitions after inspectors uncovered unpermitted apartment-style buildings hidden inside structures approved for entirely different uses.
City council voted Monday to place notices on title for two South Surrey properties, warning the public and future buyers that major portions of the buildings were constructed and occupied without permits and cannot legally be retained.
Barn approved — apartment building built instead
At 16055 60 Avenue, the city approved a permit for a barn.
Instead, inspectors found the structure converted into five residential units plus multiple additional rooms, all built without inspections, without permits and now fully occupied.
Assistant city solicitor Komal Gill told council the work has progressed so far that key structural elements are hidden, making it impossible for inspectors to verify safety.
“There is no realistic path for the owners to obtain a building permit to retain the unpermitted construction,” Gill said.
Eight-unit building in backyard, no permits at all
At 16835 26 Avenue, the situation was even more stark.
A two-storey detached building went up with no building permit whatsoever, yet was already being rented out.
The city believes the structure contains up to eight units, according to the report presented to council.
Assistant city solicitor Guillermo Flores said bluntly:
“The owners have essentially constructed an apartment building in their backyard.”
Both owners were notified earlier this fall that demolition of the illegal work would be required.
Court-ordered demolitions already underway
Surrey says three other illegal construction files have now been resolved through court-ordered demolitions earlier this year.
These included:
- An unauthorized addition with decks, bedrooms, kitchen and bathroom
- An illegal laneway home
- An unpermitted house extension, accessory building and shed renovation
The city did not release the addresses of those demolished structures.
City urges residents to report illegal work
Sean Simpson, acting director of the building division, said court-ordered action takes longer than a title notice, but both tools play a major role in protecting public safety.
He added that many cases begin with tips from neighbours.
“If you see it, report it,” Simpson said. “Permitted construction must display a permit on site.”
Surrey created its Illegal Construction Enforcement Team in 2022, citing that unpermitted construction is six times more likely to lead to serious safety hazards.
‘Zero tolerance’ moving forward
Mayor Brenda Locke said Surrey is committed to keeping residents safe and bringing offenders into compliance.
“We are taking a zero-tolerance approach,” she said in a statement.
Leave a comment